CALS
Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
WA
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware of what happened to my husband. The local DME provided us with a Phillips Trilogy Evo (3/2024) and did not disclose that it is currently part of an active Class 1 recall. I realized this by matching the serial number to the recall and then the DME repeatedly denied that the machine is recalled 🤦🏻‍♀️.

We ended up purchasing a refurbished ResMed recommended by Laurie.

Here is the recall:

Last edited:
Update - if you’re having trouble with the DME company or given a device that you’re not happy with, remember that you always have the option to purchase your own by paying out of pocket.

I reached out to Laurie about the recalled trilogy and she recommended a refurbished ResMed from the Second Wind CPAP website. I also purchased the humidifier to go with it and climate line tubing. I didn’t need to buy a mask because we had masks that came with the recalled trilogy. My husband’s PCP sent me a prescription that I emailed to the company.

The NIV arrived yesterday and it works great! Laurie helped recommend settings for my husband based on our conversations (his FVC values, etc) and I set it up and he gave it a “thumbs up.” Laurie said the original settings the Respiratory Therapist did for the recalled Trilogy were too high and this is probably why there was a lot of air leakage and he wasn’t comfortable.

So overall story - you don’t have to stick with the DME companies if you’re unhappy. I see there are insurance codes for reimbursement on the receipt, so maybe that is also a possibility (but I’m not sure and I didn’t look into that yet).

One note - you could also try and find a different DME company, but I wasn’t willing to go this route since I was trying to get my husband his NIV as soon as possible and it had already been a long process with them (it took a month from when his neurologist originally prescribed it to obtain the recalled trilogy). I knew he needed the NIV asap …

Last edited:
Quick note for anyone on BiPAP -- whether your machine came via cash or insurance, I'm always happy to help adjust settings to comfort and effectiveness.

Marie, one caution -- if you file a claim for reimbursement for the ST-A, you'll probably have a problem getting reimbursement for the [much more pricey since it has a rechargeable battery] NIV that you are still owed by the DME.

Back