Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
BR
State
SP
City
suzano
Hey, everyone! as most people who post about symptoms i’ve been extremely anxious for my aunt, so im gonna try to summarize what we’ve been dealing with so i can get some help (thank you so much in advance).

About 10 months ago, my aunt fell down next to me while we were walking on the street. i only noticed when she was on her knees but she said she tripped and fell.

After that, her walking became a bit weird, like she couldn’t really lift her left leg properly. she had another incident in her bathroom after only a few weeks, where she tripped, again, fell and hurt her back. she got even worse after that, she couldnt walk long distances without feeling the need to sit down. then after a short period of time she fell again, tripped in our front yard, hurting even more the bad foot and the good one a bit as well.

After the third fall she couldn't walk properly even inside our house so we took her to a doctor. the doctors then found out she had broken her foot, which made sense at the time. the problem was that even after her foot was healed from being broken, she had what people call a “foot drop”. she couldn't move her fingers and do the “heel walk”. she did physiotherapy for a while and whilst her walking became better (she could lift her legs more) she still had a foot drop. she did a EMG and found out she had some issues with a nerve on her left leg.

Some doctors already mentioned her nerve before so it wasn’t something new, but one of the possibilities that the neuro mentioned was ALS (along with some others like neuropathy and a hernia on her back, i know there’s a chance it couldn’t not be it at all but my anxiety is screaming at me).

Also she doesn’t feel that much pain and it worries me. If someone touches the place where the nerve is damaged she feels a strong wave of pain from her back to her toes, or if she walks for a while her knees will hurt. she’s using an orthosis for her foot drop, and her fingers hurt a little, but other than that no worrying pain.

For the past few days she started to move her fingers again, which would be good news if i didn’t feel like her knees are getting weaker. She’s going to a different physio therapist now, and after the sessions she seems weaker. it seems like it’s harder for her to walk and she can’t stand still for too long like she used to. i’m scared it could be a progression of some sort.

She doesn’t have any other symptoms on other parts of her body, doesn’t get many twitches or cramps at all. Her reflexes are normal. Her other foot is a bit stiff but she doesn’t have any weakness on her right leg/foot. Again, thank you so much for your time.

You said she couldn’t move fingers but I think that you a translation issue and you meant toes ( her symptoms are confined to her foot?)

If you have a copy of the emg you can post it after removing all identification. If she has a nerve problem as you say that is something that looks totally different than a motor neuron problem like ALS on testing.

It is certainly possible and common for a nerve problem to cause foot drop. Without seeing her and her testingI don’t think we can say anything else

Damage to the nerves that control foot movement does not require pain. And a herniated disk could certainly affect walking. By all means, post the EMG if you like.

Back